Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced earlier this week she won’t run for reelection. Bottoms held a press conference on Friday explaining her decision. The mayor said she wrote two potential letter to the residents of Atlanta – one which announced that she would remain in the mayoral race and one announcing that she won’t run for reelection. Bottoms decided to release the letter she would withdraw from the race according to CBS News.
“This has been my highest honor to serve as mayor of this city,” Bottoms said. “It is abundantly clear to me that it is time to pass the baton on to someone else.”
Bottoms says that her decision wasn’t due to family reasons, however, in large part because of the upheaval during her time as mayor.
“The last three years have not been at all what I would’ve scripted for our city,” Bottoms said. The mayor referenced a massive cyber attack, racial justice issues and “a madman in the White House,” referring to former President Trump.
“I don’t know what’s next for me personally and for our family. But what I do know is that this is a decision made from a position of strength, not weakness,” Bottoms said. She added that she had raised a significant amount of money, and stated she would win the race if it was held today. Bottoms said she made her decision “after thoughtful prayer and consideration.”
Political analyst Rashad Richey told CBS Atlanta affiliate WGCL-TV said crime rates in the city could have led to Bottoms’ decision.
Link to original source